Friday, February 8, 2013

12 Lamps of 2013





Hi there Tim.  What is your preferred form of verbing your name?  Because when  I saw this lamp at Ikea the first thing that ran through my head was that it was just crying to be Tim Holtz-ed(?).  Initially I was  going to Christmas tag it and having one at either end of my dining room side board.  But, as I mentioned before, with the move and all, things got a bit timey wimey and the Craft Cupboard Under The Stairs has just newly started to function again.
the shade that goes with the lamp is a flat strip of plastic with notches at the ends to hold it in a round shape.  It has holes in it to accomodate the bracket that fits on the lamp base.  I used the as a template to create the shade out of a recycled manila folder.  Rather than cutting the tabs, I just overlapped the straight edges and secured with brads.  The overall height of the lampshade is a bit longer than the one that comes with the lamp - a preferable length to me.
I picked this stamp because it seemed to lend itself to layering and fit the Valentine theme.  I used Kraft core and the postcard texture fade x 2.  I cut them in half and pieced together with tissue tape.  I followed Tim pretty closely, with very few exceptions: http://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2013-february/.  You probably recognize the vintage lace decorate strip cut from metal tape.  The pointy finger is stamped on craft card cut with the ticket mover and shaper and the other ticket is stamped with “To my dearly beloved”.  I secured both of these with brads I covered the base of the lamp with flowers cut using Tattered Florals Bigz die, mover and shapers and decorative strip.


And Tim is right.  I had a blast with the distress markers and water brush .  I am not at all good with water colors but it seems easy to get nice results.




1 comment: